Sunday, October 21, 2007

Blogger's Disclaimer

I came across A Blogger's Disclaimer via Team Gherkin (which by the way has a marvellous post today about A Glorious Sunday of Laser sailing in the Spring).

I was struck by one paragraph in the disclaimer...
If someone writes about you and you don't appreciate it, approach them about it. Try to remain calm and polite. Explain that you are entitled to your privacy as well. There are many compromises that can be reached from using vague nicknames to protect your anonymity, or not mentioning you at all. If you are upset because they are writing negative things about you, be reasonable, try to see if there is a way to resolve the issues and mend your relationship with the writer. If that doesn't seem to be possible, stop going to the website. They will eventually get bored and move on.

I try very hard to protect the privacy of people with whom I sail. Sometimes I will use nicknames such as Alphonse, Bertie and Cedric to refer to other sailors or even something as vague as that guy. If the other person has a sailing blog too I may link to that or refer to the name they use on the blog. Sometimes as in the post on Cheating I even write about other people's behavior in the first person so that nobody will think I am pointing fingers at them.

I hope I don't ever cross the line and invade your privacy. I value the relationships I have with other sailors and I would hate to think that fellow sailors may be upset by this blog or are even avoiding me because they think I might embarrass them by writing something here about them. So please follow the advice in the disclaimer and let me know if I do cross the line. We can work it out, I am sure.

1 comment:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

I've left that link on my blog for the simple reason I had so-called friends of a spiteful ex visiting one of my old blogs a few years ago, and telling her things from it quite out of context. It was interesting hearing the 'chinese whispers' as to how I heard what I'd apparently said! Needless to say, it's all in the past now and forgotten.

But yeah... blogging can be a weird experience sometimes. People don;t always like to hear about themselves from someone elses' perspective sometimes, so it can be tricky. So yeah, I use the same kinda generic nicknames myself.

I'm glad something on my blog can be helpful for someone else. Thanks.

But your blog ROX! hahahaaa :)

Cyalayta
Mal :)

Post a Comment