Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Ross and Me

Ross Bennett is a Laser sailor.
I am a Laser sailor.

Ross is 21, (or thereabouts).
I am 60.

Ross has a blog about Laser sailing.
I have a blog (mainly) about Laser sailing.

I live on the East coast of the United States.
Ross lives on the West coast.

In 2007 I sailed the Laser North Americans and was the last boat that finished every race.

In 2008 Ross sailed the Laser US Nationals and was the last boat that finished every race.


For some reason this gives me a feeling of kinship with Ross. It seems we both have the same stubbornness and persistence in the face of adversity. On the other hand, a disinterested observer might just conclude that Ross and I both suck at Laser sailing.


Among other things, Ross blames his weight for not doing better. At 168 lbs he thinks he is too light to do well in over 15 knots.

Among other things, I blame my weight for some of my recent bad race results. At 196 lbs I think I am too heavy to do well in 5-10 knots.


168? What a coincidence. When I was Ross's age that was what I weighed. Or "12 stone" as we used to say in England. Just wait Ross. Just wait.


Ross has a good laugh at his misadventures while racing and blogs, for example, about capsizing when his lifejacket snagged his mainsheet.

I have a good laugh at my misadventures while racing and blog, for example, about capsizing when my neck snagged another sailor's mainsheet.


Ross thinks he can improve and in the title-bar of his blog says he is writing about his "quest and aspirations for Olympic Gold in 2012, 2016 and beyond in the Laser."

I think I can improve but have more modest ambitions, really aiming only to "cheat the nursing home."


I wish Ross well in his Olympic quest. He is young and ambitious and has plenty of time ahead of him to raise his game up to the lofty levels required for Olympic qualification. If you want to support Ross, check out Ross Bennett Sailing. You are also free to express your support in the comments here.

2 comments:

Mal Kiely [Lancelots Pram] said...

Opposite ends of the spectrum in perspective! Excellent!!!

Hope your summer is treating you and Mrs Tillerman well.

Cyalayta
Mal :)

Anonymous said...

Is ross bennett some sort of joke?

Post a Comment