Thursday, December 31, 2009

Because Every Year Counts


At Bitter End Yacht Club (BEYC) earlier this month we saw a guy with a T-shirt that said

BEYC
Because
Every
Year
Counts

I think it was from some anniversary of BEYC's a few years back. I guess the commercial message of the slogan was "come to BEYC every year" but I thought it would be a good "thought for the day" as we look back on 2009 and look forward to 2010.

Because Every Year Counts. It really does. I become more aware of this the older I get. How many more years of good health and fitness are left to me to enjoy Laser sailing and travel and running and skiing and other active outdoor pursuits? What will I do to make the best of 2010?

Others may read a more altruistic message in the slogan. What did I do to make a difference in the life of others this year? What will I do to make my life count next year?

Don't blink. Life goes faster than you think.

What will you do to make 2010 count?

3 comments:

Carol Anne said...

I have, alas, allowed myself to become jaded about my teaching. It has, of late, become just a job, and no longer the calling that it used to be. It has become something I do because I have to do it, because I have to haul in a paycheck to at least attempt to pay the bills, and not the thing I used to do that I would do even if I didn't get paid because I loved it so much.

I need to return to that earlier state, because every year counts, and every term counts. Every student counts, even the ones who don't apply themselves and make me angry about the opportunities they are throwing away.

This, I suppose, is the irony. I want them to make every year count, but all I can do is to make every one of my years count. And unfortunately, I haven't been paying much attention to that myself.

bowsprite said...

this year, i'm going to submit a Tillerman writing project entry in on time (more specifically, before the next one is announced & running)

Happy New Year!!!

Fred said...

Yeep, I give it another try: To find the time and moonies to take part in the PRO/AM at the Bitter End. Hasn´t worked for me so far but one day...

Post a Comment