Thursday, June 09, 2011

Sunday


May got away from me. I went sailing early in the month and then I blinked and the month was over. There was some running and some visits from grandkids and more visits to grandkids and some stupid Beatles blogging lollapalooza and lots and lots of gardening and all of a sudden it was Memorial Day. How did that happen?

Last Sunday it was already June so I went sailing.

I hauled my Laser over to the boat ramp in Colt State Park and pointed the bow west and took off on a screaming reach in a juicy southerly. There was a pack of little sails over near Barrington Beach. I thought it was probably the Sunfish New England Regional so I decided to go and check it out and see if any of my friends were sailing. As I confirmed later it was and they were. But by the time I got anywhere near they had all gone home. I guess I must have been seeing the final race of the regatta from a distance.

I decided I had better do something useful so headed upwind along the Warwick shore towards Prudence Island doing a tack every few seconds. Didn't somebody write recently about doing 1000 tacks? Well, I didn't do that many on Sunday but you can fit a lot of tacks in while sailing a couple of miles upwind.

I don't think any of my tacks on Sunday were as good as this...





On the other hand, I didn't do what the NED sailor did in this clip...




I rounded the red/green buoy off the north end of Prudence and headed back towards Bristol on another planing reach. Once I was near Poppasquash I headed downwind and played around doing S-curves in the waves, until I was back at the ramp.

So there was a bit of up and a bit of down and a fair amount of left and right and a lot of corners so I guess I practiced most of the important stuff.

And nothing broke, which is almost a record for me these days. It was a good day.

Let's hope June doesn't get away from me before I fit some more sailing in.

Is that chart fuzzy or have I got sunscreen in my eyes again?

And that's all I have to say about Sunday.

4 comments:

Baydog said...

May got away, but June will change your tune.

Pandabonium said...

If I tried tacking like that I would have to write adother Beatles inspired song...

Bang bang Bluesette's silver boom came down upon his head...

WV- "unchol" what you say when you know you've had too much to drink.

Sam Chapin said...

I have done that kind of a tack in a borrowed boat without elastic on the hiking strap so the new front foot doesn't get under the strap. I was leading in the race (this was 30 plus years ago) and Marjorie was on the hill with her fiends watching and laughing as the kids sailed by the old man.

Tillerman said...

I think every Laser sailor does a tack like that sooner or later. The question is whether some of us learn from mistakes like that or are doomed to go on making it. I guess we can take solace that it does provide amusement to all the other sailors and spectators.

Post a Comment