Wednesday, December 04, 2013

Savasana



Yoga can be difficult for the beginner.

But it can improve your Laser sailing immensely.

One pose that all Laser sailors should master, is Savasana, also known as the Corpse Pose.

It will prepare your mind BEFORE a major regatta. Do Savasana on the boat ramp while the keen guys are waiting to launch.

It will relax you and speed your recovery AFTER a hard day of sailing. Do Savasana on the floor of the bar at the yacht club while the other sailors are still arguing over their beers about how Rule 18 applied at the 3rd mark in race 5.



Here is how to do Savasana..

Lie on your back with your legs straight and arms at your sides. Rest your hands about six inches away from your body with your palms up. Let your feet drop open. Close your eyes. Let your breath occur naturally. Allow your body to feel heavy on the ground.

Working from the soles of your feet up to the crown of your head, consciously release every body part, organ, and cell. Relax your face. Let your eyes drop deep into their sockets. Invite peace and silence into your mind, body, and soul.



It's tough to get it right, but it's worth it.



I think I'll take a nap now.


5 comments:

George A said...

When I first started yoga I didn't think I'd do well, but when the instructor told us to "empty our minds", I discovered that I had a real knack for it and went straight to the head of the class! My wife was so proud.

Oh yes, the corpse pose: good for figure skaters as well. Helps me stretch out my 67 year old spine after the compression of repeated jump landings.

Tillerman said...

See. Everyone thought I was crazy.

Jeremiah Blatz said...

If you feel like you're stuck in a rut with Savasana, you can spice it up with Balasana. I find it really helps after a gusty, shifty day on foredeck (yes, yes, keelboats, hate all you want), and also after the subsequent bar visit.

Anonymous said...

It would interesting to attempt before the mast between races too.

BTW Tillerwoman looks peaceful.

R

PeconicPuffin said...

Rolling your shoulders back as you lay down helps open your chest, so all the Indian gods can do their energy thing. Feels fantastic, and you sail better the next day.

Post a Comment